by Grace Vo
The article first appeared in the December 2020 issue of The Asian American Arts Zine
Southeast Asian Inspired: Tiffy Cooks, Website: tiffycooks.com, Instagram: @tiffy.cooksQUOTE & PICTURE FROM TIFFYCOOKS.COM: “After graduating, my fiancé and I decided to take a 4-month break and traveled around South East Asia. Once I got there, I instantly fell in love with the street food culture, and we were eating 8-9 meals a day because I knew once I was back home, I needed to recreate all these recipes.”
Vietnamese: Vietnamese Cooking Group (on Facebook- need to request access and usually accepts)
Vietnamese: Jen Dao, Instagram: @jenhdao
Taiwanese Vegan: George L, Website: chejorge.com, Instagram: @chez.jorgeQUOTE & PICTURE FROM CHEJORGE.COM: “I started Chez Jorge as a portal to not only connect people through food and take pride in heritage, but also continually challenge myself to improve and innovate.”
Simple Recipe by Grace Vo
Easy & Quick Vegetarian Rice Bowl with Bean Curd Sauce (2 Servings)
- Jasmine Rice (Cook based on Instructions MAKE FIRST)
- Firm Tofu (Use half the package of tofu)
- Olive Oil or Oil of Your Choice
- Washed Cabbage and 1 Medium Sized Carrot and/or Vegetable of Choice (I like to use 2 cups of sliced cabbage and 1 medium carrot sliced into ¼ inch wide pieces)
- 2 Cubes of Bean Curd
- 1 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon of Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- Make rice according to directions (I like to use a rice cooker!)
- Cut firm tofu into rectangles about ½ inch wide. Lay tofu flat on paper napkins to dry.
- While tofu is drying, boil a pot of water. When water is boiled put in carrots and cabbage and boil until vegetables are just soft to pierce a fork through about 5-8 mins. I recommend boiling carrots before cabbage as carrots are thicker. After Vegetables are cooked, strain and let cool.
- Heat medium sized frying pan on medium-high heat and add 3 tablespoons of oil. After oil is heated up, add tofu and fry until golden yellow on both sides. When done, lay tofu on napkins to drain oil.
- To make Bean Curd Sauce: In a sauce bowl, add bean curd cubes, soy sauce, sugar and lemon juice and mix. Sauce should taste sweet, salty and lemony, you can adjust the sauce by adding or decreasing ingredients. (I like my sauce to be chunky with bean curd!)
- In a medium bowl, fill ⅓ of the bowl with jasmine rice, top with fried tofu and boiled vegetables. Drizzle bean curd sauce on top or put in a separate bowl to dip vegetables/tofu and eat with rice. Enjoy!